Cyclonic Storm

First post in a while. I've been pretty busy with work so this goes on the back burner as much as I wish it didn't. Anyway, this is a little piece I've had in mind since the night of March 12th. There were some pretty nasty storms that blew over us that night and at 4AM the tornado warning sirens went off. Those of you who have lived in the Midwest probably know what I'm talking about but for those who do not they sound just like an air raid siren. If they go off it means that a tornado has been sighted on the ground somewhere nearby and you had better get in your basement. We grabbed the baby and the emergency supplies and headed to the basement which for us means going outside. We have one of those old fashioned basements with the double doors in the ground that you lift up to get in. Happily there was nothing to worry about and the storm passed without any damage and no tornado, at least near us. This piece is what I saw just before we went down into the basement. A huge swirling cloud that looked scary and green. The lightning inside it kept going like a strobe light. It sure LOOKED like it could turn into a tornado. I did the drawing on a Post It and scanned it into Photoshop where I did several layers of lighting effects. Then I exported it into Adobe Imageready and made it into the animated .GIF you see here.
Edit: Crap. Looks like Blogspot changes .GIFs into .JPEGs. Not cool. Oh well, here's a link to the original .GIF if you want to see the animation: http://webpages.charter.net/cdrost3/cyclonic-storm-reduced.gif

7 Comments:
That's a really cool way to portray what you saw- the GIF idea. And what a horrible thing to see in the sky. Especially when you were running to the basement with your first, new born baby. Looks like the end of the world was coming down on you.
Crazy Crap! The Gif was awesome. Sure scared me. Next time take a movie (as you're being blown away).
Coooooool. Or not cool.
Now I'm just going to worry. I'll have to get Weather alerts and call you every time it rains now. Sigh....
Cool little gif. I remember those days in Illinois when I was growin up. Guess I traded them for the earthquakes. Saw some pics of the kid at the WB, Very cute!
Really, really cool. I actually like your rendition better than the reality.
awesome!!! can you also render the apocalyptic floods that we just had in the northeast?
one more thing... ahem. you haven't posted anything new in over a month. i just might have to report you to the blog police. ;)
ok. now it's time for another post already! Put up some Bats pages or something, fer cryin' out loud. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home