Sunday, September 17, 2006

Winston

I just got a small set of casein paints and here's my first little study I did with them. A lot of the classic illustration from the 50's and 60's that I like seem to be done with casein and I had never tried using it before so I thought it was about time. To me it feels like somewhere between gouache and acrylic. Doesn't pick up as easily as gouache but it can still be reworked a little even after it's been dry for a few days. Apparently it will eventually dry and become waterproof over time. So far I like it a lot. The smell is a little strange as the binder is made from milk and ammonia but it's not too strong. Unfortunately it seems that there is only ONE brand (Shiva) who makes casein anymore and I can't imagine there is much call for it these days so I fear that it will eventually stop being manufactured. The good news is that it's easy to make yourself if necessary. Or I should say "easy" if you don't mind grinding your own pigments, creating the proper binders, mixing and storing it. But those are the kind of things I like to do anyway.

So the picture is a portrait of Winston Churchill, Prime minister of Great Britain during World War II. It's based on a more full length photo by Karsh of Ottawa made in 1941. Hopefully the likeness is good. I spent a long time trying to get it right and finally decided it was as done as it was going to get since it isn't a paying job.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Wow. That is awesome. I'm very impressed. Great work.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Brandon Vietti said...

Wow! Look at that! Great to see some real art going on outside of storyboard land!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Wandingo said...

mighty good image!!!
go find more paint so you can paint more!

1:18 PM  
Blogger selfish children productions said...

wow. this is both analog and artistic! I love most is that the first painting and what do you choose to paint...Winston Churchill! I love your brain. And you hand. This is really lovely! (ps - you CAN always buy preground pigments...it's still old school if you at least take the most toxic and messy step out of the process).
nice work.

7:20 PM  
Blogger selfish children productions said...

I bet this really makes the old ladies in art-club wet their nickers!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Hooten said...

Amazing piece....wow

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home