Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Abstract Collage

I used to really hate abstract art. I went to art school from 1988-92 in New York City. Many of my teachers had come from an abstract expressionist/postmodernist background and I was always being encouraged to be more non figurative in my work. I wanted to draw comics so as one can imagine I had a hard time there since my artwork was in their words "mere illustration". Strangely, a few years after graduating I found that my appreciation of some abstract work had increased. I don't really know why. Perhaps because it was the opposite of the kind of work I was now doing for a living. In any case I started doing some small mixed media collage/paintings just for fun. I don't know what they are supposed to mean exactly other that that they were a kind of internal dialog or narrative that I wanted to put on paper. I'll stop now as I'm starting to sound like a pretentious fine artist.

These were done in Los Angeles. Summer 1997...


6 Comments:

Blogger selfish children productions said...

why did you never show these to us when you were here? I really like the second one - would like to see it close up.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Michael Chang said...

Very nice Chuck! I vaguely recall my days of college painting. Alot of fun, but really had no idea of what I was doin'. Not that I do know.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful abstractness! Does your arm still glow when you do art?

2:53 PM  
Blogger NP said...

i like! :)

10:43 PM  
Blogger The Big Red One said...

I went through the exact same experience you did in college. Still not the greatest fan of abstract art, but that being said yours is pretty good! But being abstract I find it hard to define why. Maybe its the aesthetic. Anyway, glad I found your blog.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

Glad I found your blog. Love the colors and design. You top the KISS guy on display at West County!
You are so takented!!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home